How to Get BBC iPlayer on Roku in Australia [Simple Guide]
If you want to watch some of the most famous BBC channels like BBC News, BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, etc. on your Roku device in Australia, you should try BBC iPlayer.
Besides, you can stream popular TV shows, movies, and documentaries by accessing BBC iPlayer on Roku straightaway. Continue reading this post to know how you can get BBC iPlayer in Australia on your Roku device.
Installing VPN on Roku via your router to watch BBC iPlayer
If you want to set up a VPN on your Roku device via a router, follow these simple steps as described below:
- Go to the official website of your VPN service like ExpressVPN and sign into your account
- At this point, you should download the manual OpenVPN configuration files for your preferred server location like the UK
- You should remember your username and password as you will need them later on
- Go to your router’s admin panel to see a default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1
- Login with your routers’ credentials and through Advanced Settings, click VPN
- Now, you should click the VPN Client tab and click Add Profile option
- Description: Give any name to your VPN service like ExpressVPN
- Username: Username given by your VPN provider will be used here
- Password: Password provided by your VPN service will be used here
- Import .ovpn file: Find the OpenVPN configuration file you have downloaded earlier then click Upload
- Click OK, click Activate to enable the VPN connection
This is how you can install your VPN service to your router. However, you will have to create a UK Roku account to access BBC iPlayer on Roku securely.
You can follow these steps to create a UK Roku account:
- Use any device to connect to a UK VPN server
- Open your web browser, visit the Roku configuration section (owner.roku.com)
- Now, you should start setting up your account
- Once you reach the country section, change it to the UK
- At this point, write the UK Zipcode
- Once you have written the UK Zip code, you should restart your Roku device by pressing the reset button
- Hold the reset button for 15 seconds at least
- Once your Roku device is started again, login with your newly created UK Roku credentials
This way, you can create a UK Roku account that helps you watch BBC iPlayer’s latest media content including top-notch shows, movies, and documentaries.
Once you have created the UK Roku account, you should connect your Roku device to your VPN-enabled router. In order to connect your VPN- configured router with your Roku device, follow these steps as described below:
- Through your Roku main menu, click Settings>Network
- Select Wireless (Wi0Fi) from the Network menu
- Choose your router using Choose your Network section option
- Write the password you used when creating your VPN connection
- Click Connect, congrats you have connected your Roku device to your VPN-enabled router successfully
The best VPN to get BBC iPlayer on Roku in Australia
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN services that allow you to unblock BBC iPlayer on Roku in Australia securely and anonymously. The BVI (British Virgin Islands) based VPN provider offers 4 exclusive servers in various cities in the UK.
These cities are East London, London, and Wembley. It means you can easily connect to your preferred UK servers without exposing your actual whereabouts.
As a result, you can watch The Responder, I Can See Your Voice, Porridge, The Royals Family, The Kumars at no 42, The Catherine Tate Show, Absolutely Fabulous, Miranda, Citizen Khan, etc.
On the security and privacy front, ExpressVPN offers a great blend of features like network lock (internet kill switch), split tunneling, IP leak protection, DNS leak protection, WebRTC leak protection, OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit encryption, apps for different platforms and devices, etc.
If you want to use ExpressVPN, you will need to pay $6.67/mo to get its 12 months + 3 months free package along with an impressive 30-day money-back guarantee.
Other top VPNs for Roku to watch BBC iPlayer
Apart from ExpressVPN, you can still use some other impressive VPN services like Surfshark and NordVPN. Both these services offer UK servers in huge numbers that help you unblock BBC iPlayer in Australia stress-free.
Surfshark is a BVI (British Virgin Islands) based VPN service like ExpressVPN. If we discuss its existence in the UK specifically, you can connect to any server of your choice from the list of 3 dedicated servers available in different cities in the UK.
These cities are London, Manchester, and Glasgow. This way, you can watch Red Joan, The Accountant, Philomena, Emma, Colette, Brighton Rock, A Lonely Place to Die, Westworld, and other popular movies of all time.
In terms of security and privacy, Surfshark provides various features like internet kill switch, dedicated IP address, IP leak protection, DNS leak protection, camouflage mode, whitelister, cleanweb, MultiHop, unlimited simultaneous connections, apps for all platforms and devices, WebRTC leak protection, etc.
If you wish to use Surfshark, you will spend $2.30/mo alongside a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN offers 440+ servers in the Great Dunmow, a historical town in the UK. This way, you can easily watch famous shows or movies like Peaky Blinders, The Real McCoy, Porridge, The Man with the Iron Heart, I, Tonya, etc.
Besides, the service offers a great mix of security and privacy features to its users including internet kill switch, dedicated IP address, DNS leak protection, WebRTC leak protection, obfuscated servers, double VPN, apps for all the leading operating systems and devices, 6 simultaneous connections, 256-bit military-grade encryption, IP leak protection, etc.
If you want to use NordVPN, you will pay $3.49/mo to get its 2-year subscription plan along with a generous 30-day money-back guarantee.
Can you use a free Roku VPN to stream BBC iPlayer?
If you go by our logic, you should not use a free VPN to stream BBC iPlayer on Roku. Surprisingly, free VPN services can jeopardize your online privacy a great deal.
Moreover, they can sell your crucial web browsing information to third-party marketing organizations to support their operational costs. Above all, they can inject malware or viruses into your devices. As a result, you can become a victim of ransomware, phishing attacks, and other cyber threats.
Considering the negative impacts of free VPNs, you should refrain from using them at any cost.
Which Roku devices work with BBC iPlayer?
Frankly speaking, you can only use a few Roku devices to appropriately stream BBC iPlayer. These Roku devices include Roku TV and Roku streaming player.
Moreover, your Roku devices should have installed OS 9.3 or later. By doing so, you can access BBC iPlayer on Roku without experiencing any buffering or freezing issues.
That said, BBC iPlayer does not support the older versions of Roku streaming players and other devices.
Can you download BBC iPlayer shows and movies on Roku?
Unfortunately, you cannot download BBC shows, movies, and other media content on Roku. This is because Roku does not have a built-in storage feature that helps you download your favorite shows, movies, and documentaries.
Why won’t my Roku play BBC iPlayer?
When you start facing issues while playing BBC iPlayer on Roku TV or Roku streaming player, you should update your existing operating system to OS 9.3 or later to avoid experiencing such problems in the future.
In addition, there is no harm in restarting your Roku device and Wi-Fi internet connection. Consequently, you can get rid of your network connection issues when using BBC iPlayer on Roku.
Lastly, you can remove the BBC iPlayer channel from the Channel Store and install it again on your Roku device. There is a strong likelihood that your BBC iPlayer channel on your Roku device will start working smoothly.
BBC iPlayer allows you to watch numerous BBC TV channels such as BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, S4C, BBC News, etc. on Roku accordingly. Apart from this, you can watch famous shows, movies, and documentaries on Roku via BBC iPlayer trouble-free.
You May also be interested in: