How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on PS4 or PS5 in Australia
HBO lets you watch famous TV shows, movies, and documentaries all in one place trouble-free. If you want to get HBO on PS4 or PS5 in Australia, read this guide in detail.
Setting up a VPN on PlayStation 4 (and 5)
If you want to stream HBO on PS4 and PS5 gaming consoles, you will have to use a VPN. By doing so, you can spoof your online locations by masking your actual Australian IP address through an alternate US IP address. There are two main approaches by which you can set up a VPN on PS4 or PS5 stress-free.
These approaches are:
Option #1: Configure the VPN on your router and then extend it to your PS4 (or PS5)
- Subscribe to a PS4 or PS5 VPN service like ExpressVPN
- Now, you should access your router’s admin panel on your browser, check your router’s local IP address but mostly you will find a default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1
- At this point, login to your router via your password
- Through Advanced Settings, click VPN
- Click the VPN client tab, click Add Profile option
- Select the OpenVPN tab and fill in the required details
- Description: Give any name to your VPN connection such as ExpressVPN
- Username: Username provided by your VPN provider will be used here
- Password: Password given by your VPN provider will be used here
- Import .ovpn file: Find the OpenVPN file you have downloaded earlier, click upload
- Click OK, click activate to enable the VPN connection
- Now, save all these changes, close your router’s admin panel
- Restart your PS4
- Through your PS4 menu screen, click Settings>Network Settings
- Click Set up Internet Connection>Use Wi-Fi
- Make sure to choose Easy as the connection method
- Choose your Wi-Fi network from the list and connect using your login credentials
- You should not forget to tick the Do Not Use a Proxy Server box
- Confirm the settings, click save
- You can click Test Connection to see if everything is working properly
- Congrats!, A VPN enabled router has been configured to your PS4 gaming console
Option #2: Configure the VPN on your PC and then share it with your PS4 (or PS5)
- Subscribe to a VPN service (our recommended choice is ExpressVPN)
- Download the VPN app on your Windows PC
- Connect your PC to PS4 with the ethernet cable
- Open the Windows Control Panel and go to the Network and Sharing Center
- Click Change Adaptor Settings, right-click VPN connection (VPN set up on your Windows PC)
- Click Properties>Sharing and tick the box that indicates: Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection
- Find the Home networking connection drop-down menu and choose your ethernet connection
- Connect to your desired VPN server using the VPN client on your PC
- Restart your PS4 and through the PS4 menu screen click Settings>Network Settings
- Select Set up Internet Connection through Network Settings
- Choose Use a Lan Cable option when asked
- Select Easy as the connection and confirm Do Not Use a Proxy Server when prompted
- Save all these changes and you should click Test Connection to see if the new settings are working fine or not
Congratulations! A VPN on your Windows PC has been configured successfully to your router.
The best VPN to get HBO on PS4 (and PS5) in Australia
As already explained, you will have to rely on a VPN to watch HBO on PS4 and PS5 gaming consoles in Australia. If you go by our logic, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN services available in the market.
The service mainly operates from BVI (British Virgin Islands). Apart from this, ExpressVPN does not keep a log of its users’ information in any form such as connection or usage logs.
Furthermore, the provider offers 35+ servers in various cities in the US. These cities include New York, Seattle, San Jose, Salt Lake City, New Jersey, Miami, Washington DC, etc. As a result, you can watch several top-notch shows or movies on your PS4 or PS5 such as Death Note, The Bachelor, The Bridge, Long Live The Royals, In The Gloaming, The Package, etc.
If we discuss ExpressVPN security and privacy features, you can use network lock (internet kill switch), split tunneling, DNS leak protection, 5 simultaneous connections, apps for all the leading platforms and devices, etc.
If you want to use ExpressVPN on PS4 or PS5 while residing in Australia, you will pay $6.67/month to get its 12 months + 3 months free plan along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Other top VPN providers to watch HBO
ExpressVPN aside, you can also use some other excellent VPN services that allow you to access HBO’s content on PS4 securely and anonymously in Australia. These VPN services are:
Surfshark is a BVI (British Virgin Islands) based VPN service like ExpressVPN. The service does offer 500+ servers in different cities in the US including New Jersey, San Jose, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, New York, Miami, etc.
On the security and privacy front, Surfshark provides various features such as dedicated IP address, whitelister, cleanweb, MultiHop, camouflage mode, internet kill switch, no-logging policy, unlimited simultaneous connections, DNS leak protection, WebRTC leak protection, etc.
If you want to use Surfshark, you will need to pay $2.49/month alongside a generous 30-day refund policy.
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN service that provides 1900+ servers in all the leading cities in the US. These cities are Atlanta, Buffalo, New Jersey, New York, Miami, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, San Jose, Los Angeles, etc.
This way, you can easily connect to your desired servers available in the US and watch various shows, movies, and documentaries like House of Ho, His Dark Materials, The Leftovers, Halfworlds, Are We There Yet, Richie Rich, The Human Face of Big Data, Jackson, Man’s First Friend, etc.
In terms of privacy and security, NordVPN offers numerous compelling features like internet kill switch, dedicated IP address, obfuscated servers, split tunneling, double VPN, Onion over VPN, 6 simultaneous connections, apps for all operating systems and devices, IP leak protection, DNS leak protection, WebRTC leak protection, etc.
As far as NordVPN pricing plans are concerned, you can get its 2-year + 3 free months plan at the cost of $3.30/month along with an impressive 30-day money-back guarantee during this VPN Awareness Month.
Is there a free VPN for PS4 (or PS5)?
We will not recommend you to go with free VPNs when it comes to accessing HBO content on PS4 or PS5. In reality, they may harm your online privacy a great deal.
Furthermore, they can sell your personal web browsing information to third-party advertisers to make their ends meet. Above all, they can inject malware or viruses into your devices.
Therefore, you should not use free VPNs for online privacy, streaming, and other purposes.
Is HBO free on PS4 (and PS5)?
HBO app on PS4 or PS5 is not available free for online streaming. Moreover, you will have to pay $14.99/month to start watching popular TV shows or movies like The Outsider, House of Ho, Love Monster, Adult Material, Nancy Drew, Midnight Run, Beauty and the Beast, Fantastic Planet, Boycott, As You Like It, etc.
Does the HBO PlayStation app support 4K?
Luckily, the HBO PlayStation app supports 4K media content. It means you can now watch award-winning TV shows or movies on your preferred PS5 gaming consoles in 4K HDR streaming quality without any hassle.
Can you use HBO on PS4 without PlayStation Plus?
Fortunately, you can stream HBO or HBO Max on PS4 without relying on PlayStation Plus. The PlayStation Plus subscription enables you to play online games with your friends without any difficulty. Consequently, you can watch a plethora of media content such as Expedition Europe, State of Play, Final Space, etc.
Can you watch HBO on PS4 without Wi-Fi?
Unfortunately, you cannot watch HBO on your PS4 or PS5 gaming consoles offline. It means you will need to connect to the internet before accessing HBO’s latest content on PS4.
HBO is a one-stop solution for viewers who want to watch media content based on different genres like action, comedy, romance, adventure, science-fiction, etc. on their preferred PS4 or PS5 gaming consoles in Australia. However, they will need to use a VPN to unblock HBO or HBO Max since it is a geo-restricted streaming service like other online streaming platforms or services.
You May also be interested in: