How To Watch HBO Max On PS4 Or PS5 In Australia [Easy Guide – 2023]
Can you watch HBO Max on PS4?
You’ll be delighted to know that HBO Max is finally available on the next-generation console – PS4. So now you can enjoy HBO Max’s content on your PlayStation. All you need is a premium VPN to watch HBO Max in Australia, and you’re good to go.
HBO Max is a new American streaming service launched in mid of 2020. Having the name Warner Bros behind it, there’s no surprise it is considered the best streaming service of 2023.
It features a vast library of WarnerMedia, including current and classic HBO shows and its own HBO Max Originals. Overall, there are thousands of titles available to watch. In addition, some record-breaking movies and T.V. shows like Game of Thrones, Euphoria, Harry Porter, House of Dragons etc.
If you want to watch HBO Max on PS4 or PS5 in Australia, read this guide in detail.
How to Set up a VPN to Watch HBO Max on PlayStation 4 (and 5)?
You will have to set up a VPN to watch HBO Max on PS4 and PS5. By doing so, you can spoof your online locations by masking your actual Australian I.P. address through an alternate U.S. I.P. address. There are two main approaches by which you can set up a VPN on PS4 or PS5 stress-free.
These approaches are:
Option #1: Configure the VPN on your router and then extend it to your PS4 (or PS5)
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN
- Access your router’s admin panel on your browser and Check Router’s Local IP Address. Mostly you will find a default I.P. address, i.e., 192.168.1.1
- At this point, log in to your router via your password.
- Through Advanced Settings, click VPN
- Click the VPN Client Tab>Add Profile.
- Select the OpenVPN tab.
- Fill In the required details – Description (ExpressVPN), Username (provided by your VPN), and Password.
- Find the OpenVPN File you downloaded earlier, and click Upload. Import .ovpn file:
- Click OK, and click activate to enable the VPN connection
- Save all these changes, and close your router’s admin panel.
A VPN service has been configured to your router successfully. Now all you need is to connect your gaming console to your router. To connect PS4 with your router, follow these simple steps as mentioned below:
- Restart your PS4.
- Through your PS4 Menu Screen, click Settings>Network Settings.
- Click Set up Internet Connection>Use Wi-Fi.
- Choose Easy as the connection method.
- Select your Wifi Network from the list and connect using your login credentials.
- Don’t forget to tick the Do Not Use a Proxy Server box.
- Confirm the settings and click Save. You can also click Test Connection to see if everything is working properly.
Congrats! A VPN-enabled router has been configured for your PS4 gaming console.
Option #2: Configure the VPN on your P.C. and then share it with your PS4 (or PS5)
- Subscribe to a VPN service (our recommended choice is ExpressVPN).
- Download the VPN app on your Windows P.C.
- Connect your P.C. to PS4 with the ethernet cable.
- Open the Windows Control Panel and go to the Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change Adaptor Settings, which appears towards the left of the screen.
- Now you can see our VPN connection. Right-click it and click ‘Properties.’
- Click Properties>Sharing and tick the box that indicates: Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.
- Find the Home Networking Connection from the drop-down menu and choose your ethernet connection.
- Connect to the US VPN server using the ExpressVPN client on your P.C.
- Restart your PS4 and through the menu screen, click Settings>Network Settings.
- Select Set up Internet Connection through Network Settings
- Choose the Use a Lan Cable option when asked.
- Select Easy as the connection and confirm Do Not Use a Proxy Server when prompted.
- Save all these changes, and you should click Test Connection to see if the new settings are working fine or not.
Congratulations! A VPN on your Windows P.C. has been configured successfully to your router.
What are the Best VPNs to Get HBO Max on PS4 (and PS5) in Australia?
Our team tests 50+ VPNs on various criteria, such as speed, HBO Max compatibility, server network, and more, to compile a list of the best VPNs that allow you to access HBO Max’s content on PS4 and PS5 in Australia.
These VPN services are:
1. ExpressVPN: Recommended VPN to Watch HBO Max on PS4 (and PS5)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get HBO Max on PS4 and PS5 because of its MediaStreamer feature. The feature allows you to access HBO Max and other geo-restricted streaming services in Australia on PS4 and PS5.
The provider offers 3000+ servers in 94+ countries. Due to these servers, ExpressVPN holds strong unblocking capabilities.
Furthermore, you’ll get 25+ servers in various cities in the U.S. These servers are quite fast. We ran a quick speed test on the New York server of ExpressVPN and recorded a downloading speed of 89.78 Mbps and an uploading speed of 82.22 Mbps with a 100 Mbps connection.
Security and privacy features-wise, ExpressVPN is insanely well equipped. It uses a network lock (internet kill switch), 256-bit military-grade encryption, split tunnelling, and DNS leak protection.
Apart from this, ExpressVPN implies a strict no-log policy and does not keep a log of its users’ information in any form, such as connection or usage logs.
As for pricing, the 2-year plan of ExpressVPN is available for AU$ 9.53/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) , along with 3 months of free use and a 30-day money-back guarantee. A single subscription supports 5 simultaneous connections.
In case you want more details about this provider, make sure to go through the ExpressVPN review.
2. Surfshark: Affordable VPN to Watch HBO Max on PS4 and PS5
Surfshark is the most affordable VPN to get HBO Max on PS4 and PS5. It is available for AU$ 3.56/mo (US$ 2.49/mo) (Save 81% on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan. Best of all, you have unlimited device connections simultaneously alongside a generous 30-day refund policy.
The service offers 3200+ servers in 65+ countries and 600+ servers in 23+ US locations. All the servers of Surfshark are protected with AES 256-bit encryption.
In addition, Surfshark provides other advanced features on the security and privacy front, such as a dedicated I.P. address, Whitelister, Cleanweb, MultiHop, Camouflage mode, Internet Kill Switch, no-logging policy, DNS and WebRTC leak protection, etc.
As for speed, Surfshark delivers blazing fast speeds for streaming. When tested on a 100Mbps connection, it clocks around 87.18 Mbps download and 52.13 Mbps Upload on the New York server.
Not only just PlayStation 4 and 5, but you can use Surfshark to get HBO Max on other devices, including Windows, Android, iOS, mac and Roku.
3. NordVPN: Reliable VPN to Watch HBO Max on PS4 or PS5
NordVPN is a reliable VPN for HBO Max on P.S. 4 (and PS5) in Australia, as it has the largest collection of 1970+ U.S. servers that allows you to connect to any U.S. server of your choice while residing in Australia. Overall, It has over 5500+ servers in 60+ countries.
When testing NordVPN with HBO Max, we got reliable speeds on most of its servers for streaming in Ultra H.D. It delivered a download speed of 87.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 42.22 Mbps on the Denver server.
In terms of privacy and security, NordVPN offers numerous compelling features like an internet kill switch, obfuscated servers, split tunnelling, Onion over VPN, I.P. leak, DNS leak and WebRTC leak protection to ensure your online privacy and anonymity always remain intact.
Moreover, it allows you to connect up to six devices simultaneously. There is also a Smart DNS feature support for set-top streaming boxes like Apple T.V., Xbox, Roku, Android T.V., and more.
What Other Devices Does HBO Max Support?
Aside from PlayStation 4 & 5, HBO Max supports the following devices:
- Android phones
- iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod)
- Amazon Firestick
- Apple T.V.
- Chromebooks and Chromecast
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X & S
Is there a free VPN for PS4 (or PS5)?
Is HBO Max free on PS4 (and PS5)?
Does the HBO Max PlayStation app support 4K?
Do you need PS Plus to use HBO Max?
Can you watch HBO Max on PS4 without Wi-Fi?
HBO Max is a one-stop solution to watch media content based on different genres like action, comedy, romance, adventure, science-fiction, etc.
We hope this guide helps to clarify how you can watch HBO Max on PS4 and PS5, as HBO Max was the last big streaming service that was not available on consoles but is now there.
However, you will need a VPN to unblock HBO Max in Australia since it is geo-restricted like other online streaming platforms or services. We highly suggest ExpressVPN because of its impressive unblocking capabilities and exceptional HBO Max streaming experience.
If you have any queries feel free to ask in the comment section below, and we will be happy to assist you.