How to Get HBO/HBO Max on Roku in Australia?
HBO helps you to watch some of the best TV shows of all time like Game of Thrones, His Dark Materials, Succession, Barry, etc. Apart from this, you can access HBO to stream famous movies like Tina, Crazy Rich Asians, Justice League, True Grit, etc.
Continue reading this post to know how you can get HBO on Roku in Australia securely and anonymously.
Installing VPN on Roku via your router to watch HBO
If you want to set up a VPN on your Roku device through a router, here is what you should do:
- Visit the official website of your VPN and login to your account (ExpressVPN is our preferred choice)
- Now, you should download the manual OpenVPN configuration files for your desired server location such as the US
- You will need to remember your credentials i.e. username and password because you will use them as and when needed
- Go to your router’s control panel where you will see the default address i.e. 192.168.1.1 that you enter in your browser’s address bar
- Now, you should login with your router’s username and password
- Through Advanced Settings, click VPN
- Click the VPN Client tab and click Add Profile option
- Choose the OpenVPN tab and fill in the required information
- Description: Provide any name to your VPN connection like ExpressVPN
- Username: The username given by your VPN provider will be used here
- Password: The password provided by your VPN service will be used here
- Import .ovpn file: Find the OpenVPN you have downloaded earlier, click Upload
- Click OK then click Activate to enable or activate the VPN connection
Congratulations, your VPN service has been installed on your router. You can now connect your Roku to your VPN-enabled router to watch HBO. However, you will need to create a US Roku account to access HBO or HBO Max hassle-free.
Follow these simple steps to create a US Roku account:
- You can use any device of your choice to connect to a US VPN server
- Now, you should open your browser and visit the Roku configuration section (owner.roku.com)
- At this point, set up an account but once you have reached the country section, change it to the US
- Write the US Zipcode consisting of five digits
- Now, restart your Roku device by pressing the Reset button and hold it for the next 15 seconds
- Once your Roku device is started, sign in with your new US Roku username and password
This is how you can create a US Roku account that will help you to access HBO’s latest shows or movies. Once you have created the account, you can connect your Roku device to a VPN-enabled router. To connect your Roku to your VPN enabled router, follow these steps:
- Go to your Roku main menu, click Settings>Network
- Choose Wireless (Wi0Fi) from the Network menu
- Select your router using Choose your network section
- Enter the password you used while creating your VPN connection
- Click Connect, that’s it
This way, you can connect your Roku device to your VPN configured router and access HBO shows, movies, and other media content instantly.
The best VPN to get HBO on Roku in Australia
If you go by our logic, we would recommend you to go with ExpressVPN, one of the best VPN services available in the market. By doing so, you can unblock HBO on Roku and watch a plethora of TV shows, movies and other media content in Australia securely.
The best thing about ExpressVPN is that it mainly works from BVI (British Virgin Islands), a user-friendly jurisdiction. As far as its presence in the US is concerned, you can connect to any server of your choice from the list of 35+ servers available in different cities in the US.
These cities are Washington DC, New York, Miami, New Jersey, Chicago, Salt Lake City, etc. On the security and privacy front, ExpressVPN provides numerous features like split tunneling, network lock (internet kill switch), DNS leak protection, OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit encryption, 5 simultaneous connections, apps for all the leading operating systems and devices, etc.
If you want to use ExpressVPN, you will have to pay $6.67/month to get its 12 months + 3 months free subscription plan alongside a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Other top VPNs for Roku to watch HBO
ExpressVPN aside, you can use other VPN services on your Roku to watch HBO anonymously. These VPN providers are:
Surfshark is another VPN service you can use to access HBO in Australia on Roku. In terms of the server network, the service offers 500+ servers in all the major cities of the US.
These cities are Atlanta, San Francisco, Seattle, New Jersey, New York, Buffalo, Orlando, Salt Lake City, etc. Servers network aside, Surfshark does provide various security and privacy features like whitelister, dedicated IP address, MultiHop, internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, cleanweb, IP leak protection, 256-bit encryption, unlimited simultaneous connections, apps for different operating systems and devices, etc.
If you want to try Surfshark, you will need to spend $2.49/month along with a 30-day refund policy.
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN service that offers 1900+ servers in all the leading cities in the US. These cities are Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, Salt Lake City, Miami, Los Angeles, etc.
As a result, you can watch Euphoria, Succession, Search Party, Close Enough, The Comeback, and other record-breaking shows on your Roku device in Australia straight away.
If we talk about NordVPN privacy and security features, you can use internet kill switch, obfuscated servers, split tunneling, double VPN, Onion over VPN, OpenVPN protocol, 6 simultaneous connections, dedicated IP address, apps for various devices and operating systems, etc.
In terms of pricing, NordVPN offers its 2-year plan at the cost of $3.71/month along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Can you use a free Roku VPN to stream HBO?
You should not use a free Roku VPN to watch HBO in Australia. They may not let you unblock HBO on Roku since they often come short in terms of server spread.
Moreover, they can sell your crucial information to third-party marketers to support their operational cost. They can also affect your online privacy negatively by injecting malware into your devices.
Therefore, we would recommend you refrain from using a free VPN when you want to unblock HBO on Roku.
Which Roku devices work with HBO?
In reality, there are a handful of Roku devices compatible with HBO. These devices are Roku streaming player and Roku TV. However, your Roku streaming player or Roku must support Roku OS 9.3 or later. Otherwise, you cannot access HBO’s TV shows, movies, and documentaries on Roku.
Can you download HBO shows and movies on Roku?
Unfortunately, Roku does not allow you to download HBO or HBO Max shows and movies. Furthermore, it helps you to stream movies and shows online. That said, you cannot use Roku to download media content because it does not have a built-in storage feature needed for downloading TV shows, movies, and documentaries.
Why won’t my Roku play HBO?
If you are facing problems while playing HBO on your Roku, you should take some precautionary measures. As a result, you can stream HBO content on Roku as per your preferences.
As already mentioned, the HBO app is compatible with Roku streaming player running with Roku OS 9.3 or higher. If you are using an older version of the Roku device, you should update it at the earliest.
Besides, you should restart your Roku and Wi-Fi internet connection. There is a strong likelihood that you may not watch HBO on your Roku due to network connection issues.
Similarly, you can remove HBO from your Roku Channel Store and add it again from scratch. This is another way by which you can smartly overcome HBO not working issues on Roku.
HBO is a one-stop solution that allows you to watch media content such as top-notch TV shows, movies, and documentaries accordingly. Apart from this, you can use your Roku streaming player to get HBO or HBO Max content in Australia without any issue.
However, you will have to rely on a premium VPN service as mentioned above to achieve your HBO unblocking mission on Roku successfully. This way, you can watch Succession, Barry, The Outsider, Expecting Amy, House of Ho, Big Love, The Bachelor, 1968, The American Icons, and other impressive shows or documentaries.
You May also be interested in:
- How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on Apple TV in Australia 2021
- How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on Android in Australia 2021
- How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on iPhone in Australia 2021
- How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on Windows in Australia 2021
- How to Watch HBO/HBO Max on PS4 in Australia 2021
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?