How to Get American Netflix in Australia in May 2023
Looking for how to get American Netflix in Australia by using the same Netflix account? Simply use one of the best Netflix VPN services like ExpressVPN to connect to a USA server, sign in with your existing Netflix credentials, and start streaming American Netflix content in Australia.
Netflix is one of the most prominent streaming platforms in 190+ countries worldwide. However, its content library varies in each location since different countries have geo-specific content. The US Netflix content library is the best among all other content libraries. Famous Netflix titles like Love Village, Arctic Dogs, and many more are exclusive to US Netflix only.
Unfortunately, due to licensing policies and other limitations, American Netflix is inaccessible in Australia. So, how to get US Netflix in Australia? Well! It is pretty straightforward. All thanks to ExpressVPN which helps you change your Netflix region to watch all blockbuster American Netflix shows in Australia.
So without any further ado, let’s get started on how to watch American Netflix in Australia with a VPN:
How to Get American Netflix in Australia with a VPN in 2023 [Quick Steps]
Many streamers ask “How to get American Netflix in Australia with a VPN by connecting to a US IP address?” Well, it’s simple. You can just use a VPN to change Netflix region and start streaming your favorite shows.
Follow the steps below on how to watch US Netflix in Australia:
- Sign up for a reliable VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and Install the VPN app on your device.
- Select the VPN server in the US (preferably the New York server).
- Connect to the server.
- Go to Netflix.com and log in to your existing account.
- Now start streaming US Netflix in Australia.
Note: Netflix is a subscription-based streaming service. So, you’ve to select from the available subscription plans to sign up for Netflix in order to watch American Netflix in Australia.
Video Tutorial: Watch American Netflix from Australia
If you’re not much of a reader then check out our video tutorial on how to get Netflix America in Australia:
Once you connect to a US IP address, American Netflix will be easy to access and you can watch all your favorite shows and movies with no problems.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Get American Netflix in Australia?
You need a VPN to get American Netflix in Australia because of licensing restrictions. Netflix has different library content for other countries/regions and you cannot access the US-exclusive Netflix titles in Australia. You can only stream on the Australian library of Netflix as an Australian citizen.
You might see the following error on your screen when trying to watch US Netflix from Australia:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
However, with a VPN, you can access the American library of Netflix to enjoy all the adventures in Australia. By connecting to a US IP address using ExpressVPN, Netflix will think you’re in the States and it will eventually allow American travelers to regain access to their usual content during a visit to Australia.
There is one problem though, not all VPNs work on Netflix. Netflix is currently blocking most connections from the VPN server. For this reason, you need a trusted VPN provider if you want to watch US Netflix in Australia.
Other than a VPN, a Smart DNS service might work too. However, for our money, your best bet is to use a premium VPN. Worry not. We’ll walk you through the best VPN for Netflix to stream from Australia and answer all your questions about the streaming service.
With a reliable VPN, you can also watch Freevee and Sling TV in Australia with no buffering issues.
How Do I Subscribe to US Netflix in Australia?
Getting Netflix USA in Australia is easy. Just follow these steps to subscribe to Netflix USA in Australia:
- Sign up for a suitable VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Launch the VPN app and sign in with your account.
- Connect to the US server (preferably Chicago, Dallas, or New York servers).
- Visit the Netflix official website and enter your mail address to get started.
- Next, set your password with Netflix.
- Then, select a subscription plan which you think is best suited to your budget.
- Finally, choose your preferred payment option to pay for Netflix and provide the required billing information.
- That’s all. Stream all the US Netflix content while living in Australia.
Tip for you: If you don’t know how to access American Netflix from Australia for free and it’s your first time, trying American Netflix Free Trial in Australia before subscribing would be a good idea.
Don’t know how much is Netflix subscription in Australia? Check out the cost of different Netflix plans in Australia and how much the same plan costs in the United States.
Best VPNs to Get American Netflix in Australia – Quick Overview
Here is a quick overview of the 4 best VPNs to get US Netflix in Australia:
- ExpressVPN: Best VPN to Get American Netflix. Offers blazing-fast speed and a MediaStreamer feature to bypass geo-restrictions on devices with no VPN support. Costs AU$ 10.2/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) .
- Surfshark: Pocket-Friendly VPN to Watch US Netflix in Australia. Only costs AU$ 3.81/mo (US$ 2.49/mo) and offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- NordVPN: Largest Server Network VPN to Get US Netflix. Offers an extensive network of 5500+ servers in 60+ countries, including 1970+ US servers. Costs AU$ 5.34/mo (US$ 3.49/mo) .
- PureVPN: The Most Secure VPN to Get US Netflix . Offers the WireGuard protocol with other security features like AES 256-bit encryption, Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, PureKeep, Obfuscation, and more. Costs AU$ 5.09/mo (US$ 3.33/mo) 2-year plan.
The Best VPNs to Get American Netflix in Australia [In-Depth Analysis]
We evaluated over 50+ VPNs and conducted 100+ tests from which we shortlisted the four best VPN services that work with American Netflix like a breeze.
1) ExpressVPN: Best VPN to Get American Netflix in Australia
- A reliable network of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Robust security features along with AES 256-bit Encryption
- Blazing fast download speed of 88.14 Mbps for uninterrupted streaming
- 30 days Money Back Guarantee
- Available at price of AU$10.2/mo (US$ 6.67/mo)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to get American Netflix, which provides a fast download speed of 88.14 Mbps. In addition, its tremendous bandwidth speeds enable continuous streaming without any buffering or lagging issues.
It is operated with a network of around in 3000+ servers in 94+ countries. ExpressVPN provides twenty-five server locations to unblock US Netflix Australia.
Out of 25 server locations, almost all successfully performed the task, except for Los Angeles – 3, which showed inconsistent connectivity. Therefore, we won’t call it a complete failure; however, it’s best to avoid it if you’re using ExpressVPN to access the streaming service in Australia.
We tested the download speed of ExpressVPN’s US servers which are noted as 88.14 Mbps, Upload speed of 83.72 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. We can also successfully unblock HBO Max and get Peacock TV streaming access in Australia at this speed.
You can use its different streaming and privacy features like a kill switch (network lock), 256-bit military-grade encryption, split tunneling, five simultaneous logins, and zero logs.
ExpressVPN supports all types of devices and OS, like Windows, Android, iOS, and Linux. Besides, the service offers an exclusive MediaStreamer feature, which you can set up on your router to increase connection speeds.
You can get its yearly plan for AU$10.2/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) with a 30-day refund guarantee. In case you want more details about this provider, make sure to go through the ExpressVPN review.
Pros and Cons of ExpressVPN
- Fast servers with excellent streaming features.
- Impressive device support.
- Stable connections.
- No-logs policy.
- IP leak protection.
- Slightly more expensive than the competitors.
2) Surfshark: Pocket-Friendly VPN to Get US based Netflix in Australia
- 3200+ servers in 65+ countries including 600+ servers in 23 US cities
- Unlimited Simaltenous Support
- 30 days Money Back Guarantee
- AES 256-bit Encryption
- Available at amazingly low price of AU$3.81/mo (US$ 2.49/mo)
Surfshark is the premium VPN to get US Netflix at the most affordable cost. You will need to pay AU$3.81/mo (US$ 2.49/mo) to get its 2-year + 2 months free plan with a 30-day refund.
It offers 3200+ servers located in 65+ countries. The provider has 600+ servers in 23 US cities that did a decent job unblocking US Netflix from Australia.
Besides American Netflix, Surfshark also successfully bypassed the firewall to watch Channel 4 and Sky Sports in Australia in one go.
Our test findings include the speed results of Surfshark’s US server for watching US Netflix while in Australia. They are recorded as 86.55 Mbps of download speed and 49.42 Mbps of upload speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
This speed excellently works in streaming Mitele and unblocking TF1 in Australia as well.
Those that failed to connect included Bend, Tampa, and Dallas. The two which struggled in terms of speed were Manassas and San Francisco.
In addition, the service provides numerous security and privacy features like a kill switch, Cleanweb, Whitelister, unlimited simultaneous logins, and zero-logs.
You can download Surfshark apps on Windows, Android, iOS, and Linux. The extensions are also available for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers.
Pros and Cons of Surfshark
- Affordable and easy to set up.
- Offers multiple device compatibility.
- One subscription for unlimited connections.
- No logs.
- IP leak protection.
- More organized settings are needed.
3) NordVPN: Largest Server Network to Get Netflix of America in Australia
- 5310+ servers in 59+ countries including 1970+ servers in 15 US locations
- Six Simaltenous Support
- 30 days Money Back Guarantee
- AES 256-bit Encryption and NordLynx Protocols
- Available for AU$5.34/mo (US$ 3.49/mo)
Looking for “how do I watch US Netflix in Australia with NordVPN?” NordVPN offers impressive 1970+ servers in 15 US locations that allow you to watch USA Netflix while staying in Australia, making it one of the best VPNs for Australia.
The VPN provides a total of 5310+ servers in 59+ countries. Out of the fifteen US servers, thirteen did an exceptional job of watching US Netflix in Australia, while only two (Atlanta and Chicago) failed to unblock the streaming service.
Still, if we point out the best-performing locations, our pick would be Buffalo, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Miami to enjoy the NordVPN American Netflix combo!
We’d rank Chicago last in terms of performance. On the other hand, we calculated the speed results for the US server of NordVPN. We wanted to make an authentic guide, so we concluded that the download speed is 84.12 Mbps and the upload speed is 42.17 Mbps on our 100 Mbps internet.
With this speed you can easily watch Unimas and US Samsung TV Plus in Australia as well.
NordVPN is compatible with Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, PlayStation, Apple TV, FireTV, and other devices. In addition, its SmartPlay features a couple of VPN technology with Smart DNS to effectively circumvent the geo-blocks released by Netflix on non-VPN compatible devices.
The service comprises robust security and privacy options, including an automatic kill switch, dedicated IP addresses, 256-bit encryption, and an uncompromising zero-log policy.
You can purchase its 2-year plan for a monthly fee of AU$5.34/mo (US$ 3.49/mo) . The deal comes with a no-quibble 30-day money-back trial.
Pros and Cons of NordVPN
- Excellent customer service.
- Compatible with most devices.
- Supports up to six simultaneous connections.
- Servers lack stability.
4) PureVPN: The Most Secure VPN to Get US Netflix in Australia
- in , including 450+ US servers
- Ten multi-login Support
- 30 days Money Back Guarantee
- Built-in streaming mode
- Available for AU$ 5.09/mo (US$ 3.33/mo) 2-year plan
PureVPN provides 450+ servers in all the leading cities of the US that help you watch famous TV shows like Altered Carbon and Life: As We Know It in Australia. Overall the provider works with 6500+ servers in 75+ countries.
The service offers exclusive features like a built-in streaming mode and a dedicated section for popular channels that allow you to stream your favorite content in HD.
As far as the test results are concerned, twelve server locations managed to connect to American Netflix from Australia, while Atlanta and San Francisco failed to unblock US Netflix. Ashburn servers performed relatively slower compared to other working servers.
In terms of security and privacy, you can experience various features, including a kill switch, dedicated IP, split tunneling, ten simultaneous logins, and no logs.
You can subscribe to its 2-year plan at the cost of AU$ 5.09/mo (US$ 3.33/mo) 2-year plan at an incredible 47% discount and a 31-day refund policy.
Pros and Cons of PureVPN
- Fastest server connection.
- Easy to connect.
- Offers multiple device compatibility.
- Zero logs.
- IP leak protection.
- Lack of support across devices like Android TV and NVIDIA Shield TV.
- It takes a slightly longer time to make a new connection.
How to Choose the Best VPN to Watch American Netflix in Australia?
Finding the best VPN for American Netflix is hard to find with so many options available. Here are the main factors you should be focusing on while choosing a VPN to access US Netflix in Australia:
- Fast US Servers: You need a VPN that offers blazing-fast American servers. This makes sure you don’t have to face buffering issues while streaming your favorite movies and TV shows on US Netflix. All the VPNs in our list offer an extensive network of servers including many server locations in the US
- Compatibility for All Platforms: The best VPNs are compatible with all widely-used devices such as Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and even Linux. You can even watch American Netflix on streaming devices that have no support for native VPN apps (like Apple TV, Chromecast, and Roku) with ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer.
- Security: Keeping you secure on the open web is a VPN’s primary job. All the VPNs listed in our guide offer military-grade encryption (AES 256-bit) and advanced protocols like WireGuard and OpenVPN. Additional features include Kill Switch, Split Tunneling, MultiHop, and more.
- Streaming Support: Other than Netflix, there are many other US streaming platforms like Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, and Peacock that offer amazing movies and TV shows. All the VPNs in our list have been tested to provide access to popular streaming services.
- Ease of Use: Using a VPN should not be hard. Sometimes even connecting to a VPN server becomes challenging because of the poor interface. Our listed VPNs offer easy-to-use interfaces with setup guides, email support, and 24/7 live chat support to assist customers.
- Reasonable Pricing: It is not necessary to spend a fortune after a VPN. All the VPNs in our list are reliable and all of them offer reasonable pricing plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee option to test the VPN risk-free.
American Netflix vs Australian Netflix [Quick Comparison]
|American Netflix||Australian Netflix|
|Total Titles||5,995 titles||6,395 titles|
|Division of Titles||2,162 TV series
|2,225 TV series
|Exclusive Titles||Ink Master: Turf Wars
Manhunt: Deadly Games
|Escape and Evasion
An Interview with God
|Cost||Basic with ads: $6.99/month||Basic with ads: AU$6.99/month (4.87 USD per month)|
How Do You Change Your Netflix Account to American?
To change your Netflix account to America, all you need to do is log out of your Australian Netflix account, clear cookies on your browser, connect to a US server using a VPN, and go to Netflix.com.
You’ll notice that the address bar reads “netflix.com” without “/au.” Enter your Netflix Australia account credentials, and voila – you are now right inside the US Netflix library.
You must’ve been thinking the country on your account can’t be changed unless you move to a new one right? Well, that’s not it. Using a VPN to access Netflix will hide your region and allow you to easily see TV shows and movies available on US Netflix in Australia.
To help you understand better, we’ve provided a step-by-step walkthrough of the complete account set-up process below. Check it out:
- So, in the first image, we are signing into our Australian Netflix account.
- In the second image, after signing into my Australian Netflix account, We searched for The Walking Dead; however, it is missing from the library.
- In the third image, we logged out of an Australian Netflix account.
- We’ve connected to the remote US server using ExpressVPN. We’ll now use this connection to sign in to American Netflix via my Australian account.
- We’ve connected to the remote US server using ExpressVPN. We’ll now use this connection to sign in to US Netflix via my Australian account.
- In the fifth image, we’re on the homepage of US Netflix.
- We’re logging into American Netflix using our Australian Netflix credentials in the sixth image.
- In the last image, we’ve access to US Netflix from Australia. So we search for The Walking Dead, which is right at the beginning of the carousel.
Note: If you think you’re not using it enough and wondering how to cancel Netflix Australia, or you’ve decided to switch to other streaming services, you could easily cancel your Netflix subscription we have a step-by-step guide.
What are the Compatible Devices to Get American Netflix in Australia?
You can stream Netflix from any Internet-connected device that offers the Netflix app. Here is a list of the devices from which you can stream on Netflix:
- Apple TV.
- Smart TV
- Raspberry Pie
- Xbox 360
- Chrome Extension
- Blu-ray Players
How Can I Get American Netflix in Australia on iPhone?
You can get American Netflix on iOS in Australia by VPN and changing your Netflix region. You can also get Netflix from other countries with a premium VPN. To change the Netflix region on your iOS devices, follow these steps:
- First, subscribe to a premium VPN provider such as ExpressVPN.
- Next, download and install the VPN app on your iOS device.
- Next, select the US server from the list and hit the connect button. We recommend the New York server.
- Next, launch the Netflix app, sign in with your credentials, and go to US Netflix.
- Enjoy watching US Netflix on your iPhone and iPad in Australia.
How Can I Get American Netflix in Australia on Android?
How do you get American Netflix on Android? You can get American Netflix on Android through a VPN that will change your Netflix region to get US Netflix content in Australia. Here are the steps to change the Netflix region on Android:
- Download and subscribe to a VPN service on your Android device. ExpressVPN is recommended.
- Select the United States and connect to the New York server in the list of countries.
- The US server will automatically redirect you to the US Netflix library.
- Now visit the play store and download the Netflix app.
- Log in to enjoy watching US Netflix in Australia on Android.
How to Get American Netflix in Australia on Smart TV?
How do I get US Netflix on my smart TV? You can watch Netflix US in Australia on your smart TV by following the steps down below:
- Install and download ExpressVPN on your router or internet connection.
- Connect your internet to the US server.
- Now connect the internet to your Smart TV.
- Launch the Netflix app.
- Enter your Australian account credentials to log in.
- Enjoy watching US Netflix shows in Australia!
Moreover, you can also get American Netflix on Xbox One Australia or on your PlayStation console if you configure your VPN app on a router or set up the MediaStreamer feature.
What to Watch on American Netflix in Australia in May 2023?
What is good on US Netflix in May 2023? We have compiled a list of the latest US Netflix shows and movies date-wise that are exclusively on US Netflix. So, take a look at this list of best shows on American Netflix in Australia and decide what to watch this weekend.
- Airport 1975
- Airport ’77
- The Cable Guy
- Captain Phillips
- Chicken Run
- Conan the Barbarian
- The Croods
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Dawn of the Dead
- Love Village
- The Tailor
- Great British Baking Show: Juniors: Season 7
- Jewish Matchmaking
- Arctic Dogs
- Larva Family
- Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story
- A Man Called Otto
- Justice League: Seasons 1-2
- Justice League Unlimited: Seasons 1-2
- Spirit Rangers: Season 2
- Documentary Now!: Season 4
- Hannah Gadsby: Something Special
- Dance Brothers
- Missing: Dead or Alive?
- Queen Cleopatra
- Royalteen: Princess Margrethe
- St. Vincent
- Ultraman: Season 3
- Black Knight
- Call Me Kate
- The Mother
- Queer Eye: Season 7
- Anna Nicole Smith: You Don’t Know Me
- Faithfully Yours
- La Reina del Sur: Season 3
- McGregor Forever
- Rhythm + Flow France: Season 2
- Working: What We Do All Day
- Kitti Katz
- XO, Kitty
- Yakitori: Soldiers of Misfortune
- Astérix & Obélix: The Middle Kingdom
- Kathal – A Jackfruit Mystery
- Selling Sunset: Season 6
- Young, Famous & African: Season 2
- The Batman: Seasons 1-5
- The Boss Baby
- The Creature Cases: Chapter 3
- All American: Season 5
- Wanda Sykes: I’m An Entertainer
- Hard Feelings
- Mother’s Day
- The Ultimatum: Queer Love
- Barbecue Showdown: Season 2
- Blood & Gold
- Dirty Grandpa
- Tin & Tina
- Turn of the Tide
- I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson: Season 3
- Heartland Season 15
- Mixed by Erry
How Much is Netflix USA in Australia?
Netflix provides three pricing plans to users. These include Basic, Standard, and Premium. You can apply for the one that best suits your budget. Here are the details on Netflix subscription plans:
|Subscription Plans||Netflix Australia Price||Netflix America Price||Simultaneous Connections||Offline Viewing Availability|
|Basic with ads||AU$6.99/month||$6.99/month||1||No|
Is Netflix US Different than Australian Netflix?
Yes, Netflix US is different than Netflix Australia in terms of the number of movies and TV shows. However, both regions have vast libraries. The library of Netflix in Australia is different from the US because of licensing agreements.
The American Netflix list has over 5,995 titles, including 2,162 TV shows and 3,833 movies. On the other hand, Australian Netflix has over 6,395 titles, including 2,225 TV shows and 4,170 movies.
How Does Netflix Geo-Block Content?
Netflix geo-blocks content by employing a technique called geolocation filtering. Geolocation filtering is a method used to determine the geographic location of a user based on their IP address. An IP address is a unique identifier assigned to each device connected to the internet.
When you access Netflix, the service checks your IP address to determine your location. Based on this information, Netflix restricts access to certain content based on licensing agreements and regional content rights. Different countries or regions may have different licensing deals, which means that certain shows or movies may be available in one country but not in another.
It’s worth noting that Netflix is not the sole streaming company implementing this strategy, and it doesn’t always favor the United States. For instance, UK residents residing in the United States might encounter issues when attempting to access BBC iPlayer.
How Can I Watch US Netflix Without VPN in Australia?
Yes, you can watch American Netflix without a VPN in Australia by using a Smart DNS service. However, you can also use a proxy server, remote desktop software, the Tor browser, or try setting up a home VPN server.
However, the issue is that none of these methods are reliable. They may leak your server requests which can leak your original information to Netflix and you might get blocked from viewing Netflix USA in AUS. The best way to watch US Netflix in Australia is to use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN.
Can I use a free VPN to access American Netflix?
Especially since 2016, Netflix has become increasingly wary of users who try to access foreign versions of Netflix with a VPN. The company has started taking down such service. Hence it is recommended to use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN.
Do I need to pay any extra fees to watch American Netflix in Australia?
Is it legal to use a VPN to get American Netflix?
However, it might be against Netflix’s terms of service. So if you’re caught using a VPN then Netflix will not let you stream until you turn off your VPN service. This is why you have to select a premium like ExpressVPN to avoid getting caught by Netflix.
Can I switch back to Netflix Australia at any time?
Is US Netflix better than Australian?
How to get American Netflix in Australia for free?
How can I get American Netflix without VPN?
The United States has the most rich-in-content Netflix library. However, because of geo-restrictions, you cannot stream some US-only titles in your region. So how to get American Netflix in Australia or anywhere in the world?, simply connect to a US IP address using ExpressVPN.
You will instantly get access to American Netflix shows not in Australia with no problems!